and to think... Kitchen Appliances should be safe!

11:00 AM Posted In , , , Edit This 0 Comments »
To preface this, Our fridge is not hooked up to a water source and won't be until we redo a few things in the kitchen and move the fridge. However, I don't believe the ice maker should go unused. I make sure the auto function is in the off position and fill with ice that I buy from the store. One bag fills up the storage bin. Then we use the feature on the door and have cubed or crushed ice.

Well, this morning I really wanted a couple of peices of ice. There were only a few in the bin and weren't getting caught up in the spiral thing that pushes the ice forward.

A smart idea occured and I stuck my hand into the bin to wrangle out a couple of ice cubes. I poked and scooted those two measly ice cubes just close enough to grab them and then the unexpect thing happened. I got my arm caught between the automatic ice maker and the storage bin. I'm not tall enough to see in the bin which put me in an odd, twisted position. I was stuck TIGHT! As I tried to struggle to get my arm free I could feel it getting even more stuck. There I was, barefoot on a freezing floor, in my night clothes, mussed up hair, right foot standing IN the freezer and my arm twisted and caught in the ice bin. I tried to pull the bin out but it wouldn't budge. Did I mention I was alone in the house? DH left early for an appt and kids at school. What to do...

I could feel a wave of panic creeping in but I swallowed it down. I knew if I yelled out no one would hear me so I had to figure it out for myself. Not being able to reach the butter dish, nor being able to open the fridge because it was on my right side and I couldn't contourt myself to open the door, it hit me that there was not going to be any easy, painless way to extricate myself. I took in a deep breath, gritted my teeth and wiggled out, with much effort and pain. I wanted to cry when I freed my arm but it hurt too darn bad!

Okay, I already had a very angry bruise starting, FIRST AID! I need to care for my wounded arm. ICE! I need ice! Then I looked at the freezer and started laughing! I have no ice! That is what got me in this predicament in the first place! So it was a bag of frozen corn and a bread towel for me.

I'm going to have a lovely bruised forearm. Just twisting it causes quite a bit of discomfort. I just bonked it on the computer desk... it's one of those places that obviously gets bonked easily.

This injury and the disaggreement Frankie and I had yesterday has nearly put my right arm out of commission! My palm and wrist are bruised and puntured from an angry parrot, and now my forearm from battling to gain two! count them Two! ice cubes!

I'm going to wrap myself up in Bubble Wrap and sit very still today. It's cold and I really want to build a fire but... that may not be a good idea!

So ladies, NEVER EVER try to chase down two small ice cubes in an automatic ice maker!

Dulie, the Damaged.

0 comments: